EncapsulAC® Coagula-Tracer Fluid is an innovative proprietary formulation designed to be used in conjunction with pipebursting, Close Tolerance HDD Pipe Replacement (CTHDD), also known as backreaming or Close Tolerance Pipe Slurrification (CTPS).
EncapsulAC® can also be used with open cut trenching. It is designed to encapsulate the AC pipe fragments creating a coagulated mass that is workable and does not harden like cement.
EncapsulAC® is manufactured in a dry powdered form and mixed to a slurry on site prior to use and forms a gel within 24hrs of completion of the bursting or CTPS pulls.
EncapsulAC®‘s vibrant blue Coagula-Tracer Fluid colourises soil and the AC pipe fragments allowing safe identification and traceability during future excavations.
EncapsulAC® has been demonstrated in the USA to:
1. Provide full coverage of the encapsulation fluid around the fragments of remaining asbestos cement pipe (99.9% coagulation CTPS & +/- 85% coagulation with pipebursting)
2. Meets Negative Exposure Testing for air samples (WRF-4465-093 Dated 2015)
3. Allow workability and early detection
4. Encapsulated pipe fragments were easily observed and safely pushed to the side to allow the installation of the service connection
5. Integrate well with existing equipment and tooling for pipe replacement operations and doesn’t add significant time to the operations.
The benefits of implementing EncapsulAC® include:
• Encapsulating the AC fragments and fibres rendering them safe
• Providing a strong visual indicator of the presence of encapsulated AC material
• Allowing the reintroduction of cost effective and safe methods of replacing AC pipes.
• Offering the potential to allow the encapsulated AC pipes remains to remain in a well defined and documented corridor in a readily identifiable and safe condition for future operators working along these corridors.
• Reduces the risks associated with digging up and transporting AC
• Reduces the burden of developing and maintaining permanent, separate and specific landfill sites to deal with the large amount of AC waste that would be generated by digging up and removal
• Reduces the long term liability and risk of abandoning old AC in corridors adjacent to working assets where they may not be easily identified.
• CTHDD has US-EPA’s approval as an “Owner (stakeholder) Approved Alternate”